Wednesday 4 September 2013

PERSONALITY 1.4

PERSONALITY 1.4
[Theories of Personality]
IV. BIG 5:
In 1990, ‘BIG 5’ model was published. The Big five factors are Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism (OCEAN, or CANOE if rearranged). Each of these 5 personality traits describes, relative to other people, the frequency or intensity of a person’s feelings, thoughts, or behaviors. Everyone possesses all 5 of these traits to a greater or lesser degree. The big five traits are also referred to as the "Five Factor Model" or FFM. 

1. Openness to Experience 
  • “I have a rich vocabulary.” 
  • “I have a vivid imagination.” 
  • “I have excellent ideas.” 
  • “I spend time reflecting on things.” 
  • “I use difficult words.” 
  • “I am not interested in abstractions.” (reversed
  • “I do not have a good imagination.” (reversed
  • “I have difficulty understanding abstract ideas.” (reversed)
 2. Conscientiousness
  • “I am always prepared.” 
  • “I am exacting in my work.” 
  • “I follow a schedule.” 
  • “I get chores done right away.” 
  • “I like order.” 
  • “I pay attention to details.” 
  • “I leave my belongings around.” (reversed
  • “I make a mess of things.” (reversed
  • “I often forget to put things back in their proper place.” (reversed
  • “I shirk my duties.” (reversed)
3. Extroversion
  • “I am the life of the party.” 
  • “I don't mind being the center of attention.” 
  • “I feel comfortable around people.” 
  • “I start conversations.” 
  • “I talk to a lot of different people at parties.” 
  • “I am quiet around strangers.” (reversed
  • "I don't like to draw attention to myself.” (reversed
  • “I don't talk a lot.” (reversed“I have little to say.” (reversed
4. Agreeableness
  • “I am interested in people.” 
  • “I feel others’ emotions.” 
  • “I have a soft heart.” 
  • “I make people feel at ease.” 
  • “I sympathize with others’ feelings.” 
  • “I take time out for others.” 
  • “I am not interested in other people’s problems.” (reversed
  • “I am not really interested in others.” (reversed
  • “I feel little concern for others.” (reversed
  • “I insult people.” (reversed
  • “I like being isolated.” (reversed
5. Neuroticism

  • “I am easily disturbed.” 
  • “I change my mood a lot.” 
  • “I get irritated easily.” 
  • “I get stressed out easily.” 
  • “I get upset easily.” 
  • “I have frequent mood swings.” 
  • “I often feel blue.” 
  • “I worry about things.” 
  • “I am relaxed most of the time.” (reversed
  • “I seldom feel blue.” (reversed

note: know your Personality on the basis of BIG 5. Let's See How?!!

V. SELF THEORY:
Self Theory is also termed as 'Organismic Theory' or 'Field Theory'. The most important contribution in Self Theory comes from Carl Rogers. There are four factors of self concept,

A. Real Self: The real self is what one really is. The first three aspects of self concept are the functions of individual perception and they may be same as real self or different from it.  

B. Looking Glass Self: The looking glass self is the perception of a person about how others are perceiving his qualities and characteristics. This is a perception of others' perception.  

C. Self Image: By nature, every person has certain beliefs about what or who he/ she is. Self image is the way one sees oneself. Individuals on the basis of these beliefs form self image or identity.

D. Ideal Self: The ideal self refers to what one would like to do, what one would like to be. While self image indicates reality of a person, ideal self implies ideality of a person. It also motivates an individual in a certain way.

note: A person perceives a situation depending upon his self concept which has direct influence on his behaviour. Self concept theory plays a very important role in analyzing organisational behaviuor (OB).


(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment