Tuesday 25 July 2017

Functional English WORK SHEET 1.6

Functional English WORK SHEET 1.6 
Choose the correct option:

1. _____ a large number of people in my life who have always done their utmost to help me achieve my goals.
a. There were, b. They were, c. They have been, d. There have been

2. If I'd known about it, I _________ you for sure.
a. had told, b. should have told, c. would have told, d. would of told

3. The turmoil caused by World War II lasted well ____ the fifties.
a. after, b. over, c. beyond, d. for

4. I think I'm _______ against.
a. having plotted, b. being plotted, c. plotting, d. have plotted

5. I can't park here. That motorbike is ____ the way.
a. on, b. in, c. up, d. across

6. Don't drink and drive ever again. You _____ easily been killed.
a. can, b. should have, c. could have, d. would

7. We'll need to discuss _____ we should close the shop.
a. about, b. that, c. what, d. whether

8. She always gets away with _______ . The boss loves her.
a. she's late, b. late, c. to be late, d. being late

9. Do you know how long _____ going to stay in Italy?
a. are Jack and Suzy, b. Jack and Suzy is, c. Jack and Suzy are, d. Jack and Suzy

10. I congratulated Josh on _____ given the job.
a. was, b. having been, c. had been, d. that he

11. You ought to ____ your car repaired.
a. take, b. get, c. make, d. do

12. I bet your wife could tell _____ good few stories about you.
a. some, b. a, c. so, d. much

13. I don't dislike the building. Now as _____ the neighborhood, I do have concerns.
a. about, b. well, c. regards, d. in

14. I've told you plenty of times. I _______ .
a. have love you, b. need love you, c. was love you, d. do love you

15. He was only nineteen years old, but he _____ developed a great sense of humor.
a. already, b. had still, c. had already, d. was just

16. This time next month, I _____ on a beach in Florida.
a. will lie, b. am lying, c. lie, d. I'll be lying

17. Jim hasn't met the new boss yet, and _____ .
a. me too, b. neither I have, c. neither have I, d. I haven't

18. Could you tell me what ________ ?
a. is the answer, b. the answer is, c. was the answer, d. would the answer be

19. First, add some _____ chopped garlic to the tomatoes.
a. small, b. finely, c. tinily, d. neatly

20. She didn't marry James, because her parents _______ .
a. wanted her, b. were against, c. were against it, d. haven't liked him

21. I wish he _______ that. My mother was so annoyed.
a. would say, b. would have said, c. hasn't said, d. hadn't said

22. Can you help _____ up the mess?
a. clear, b. with clear, c. to clearing, d. me clearing

23. There are more _____ than last year.
a. unemployment, b. unemployed, c. unemployeds, d. unemployments

24. My grandfather was never _____ apologize to anyone.
a. had to, b. known for, c. heard to, d. believed in

25. Please, let me know why _______ the meeting.
a. you didn't attend, b. didn't you attend, c. you didn't attend to, d. you didn't go

26. My husband and I bought _______ last week.
a. some new furniture, b. a lot of new furnitures, c. any new furniture, d. pieces of new furnitures

27. The future of the planet doesn't look too good, but there isn't much ______ .
a. I can make about it, b. I can do about it, c. can I do about it, d. I can't do about it

28. James is rather lonely these days. Why _____ him round?
a. shouldn't invite, b. not invite, c. do you invite, d. will you invite

29. I put down the date in my diary _______ forget it.
a. that I won't, b. so as not to, c. because I, d. for not to

30. I don't regard her _____ a threat to my marriage.
a. to be, b. having, c. as being, d. meaning

31. _______ at the top of the hill, I could see the whole town.
a. Standing, b. Being stood, c. I had been standing, d. As I stand

32. ______ you're late?
a. Why, b. What makes, c. How come, d. How is

33. Even though Jack had made a fortune, he _____ working as a consultant.
a. was going on, b. went on, c. went to, d. had gone

34. He always gets up at 5 o'clock in the morning, _____ on holiday.
a. moreover, b. although, c. however, d. even

35. He's one of the most hated men in history, despite _______ anything really bad.
a. he didn't do, b. he hadn't done, c. not having done, d. not done

36. She's capable of _____ forget my own name.
a. making me to, b. having to, c. having made, d. making me

37. It's not so much his looks I don't like ____ his inability to listen.
a. more, b. as, c. than, d. for

38. ____ I hadn't been expecting any visitors, I was wearing pajamas when the doorbell rang.
a. While, b. Due to, c. Why, d. Since

39. In the course of the meeting, Mr Smith was _____ mishandling funds.
a. praised for, b. denied, c. accused of, d. informed by

40. There was ______ anger in his voice that I had to hang up.
a. as much, b. such lot of, c. such much, d. so much

41. I think you should let your daughter ______ over at Judy's.
a. sleep, b. to sleep, c. sleeping, d. sleeps

42. I'm sorry, I can't see what ________ .
a. can you mean, b. you are meaning, c. do you mean, d. you mean.

43. If your invitations are met with repeated ______ , you should just leave him alone.
a. hypotheses, b. negatives, c. blunts, d. rebuffs

44. The thing ______ I love the most about him is his smile.
a. what, b. is, c. have, d. that

45. They tried to talk her ________ .
a. of giving up, b. out of giving up, c. not giving up, d. not to give up

46. There's no point _______ the kids. They're old enough to look after themselves.
a. to worry for, b. to worry about, c. in worrying for, d. in worrying about

47. It was important for her _____ seen as a threat.
a. to not be, b. not being, c. not to be, d. she wasn't

48. The concert was postponed, _____ to the lead singer's illness.
a. because, b. for, c. owing, d. causing

49. It seemed ____ been snowing, but we knew it was only some white dust that had covered the whole town.
a. like it has, b. if it had, c. as it had, d. as if it had

50. I'm very sorry that ________ I've betrayed you.
a. you should think, b. why you think, c. you think so, d. I look

51. We _____ regret that our presentation has been cancelled.
a. very, b. would like to, c. much, d. have

52. Their business hasn't taken off as expected, ____ , they are happy that the number of their customers is increasing.
a. furthermore, b. in as much as, c. nonetheless, d. moreover

53. Despite deliberately _____ a personal distance from his co-worker, Josh acknowledged the dangers of working together with such a beautiful woman.
a. was keeping, b. keeping, c. he kept, d. he had been keeping

54. _____ apologized, I wouldn't have been so upset at the time.
a. He had, b. If he, c. Had he, d. Would he

55. My grandparents' house ______ pulled down just before I was born.
a. had, b. had been, c. was, d. must have

56. Where do you think _______ to spend my summer holidays?
a. I should, b. a good place, c. might be the best place, d. I might

57. If I haven't come back by seven o'clock, _______ dinner without me.
a. start, b. will start, c. you start, d. you're starting

58. If it ______ , they would have divorced by now.
a. had sold the house, b. weren't for the house, c. weren't because of the house,d. were sold the house

59. My sister ____ bought a laptop for her birthday last year.
a. were, b. was, c. has, d. had

60. The confusion ______ the discovery of the body made everybody lose track of time.
a. had caused, b. was caused by, c. had been caused by, d. caused by

61. You are the only person _______ I can talk.
a. to whom, b. with who, c. that, d. which

62. I'm a teacher and _____ my husband.
a. is a teacher, b. is he, c. so is, d. such is

63. All I had to do to convince Janet, it turned out, ____ talk to her mother.
a. was to, b. is to, c. by, d. to

64. I wish you ______ checking my e-mails. You're invading my privacy.
a. will stop, b. have stopped, c. would stop, d. are going to stop

65. When I asked him ______ the keys , Bob said he had no idea where they were.
a. if did he see, b. if he had seen, c. could he see, d. that he had seen

66. No need to get upset- I was _____ asking.
a. although, b. moreover, c. merely, d. likely

67. There is going to be less unemployment this year, or so the newspaper _____ .
a. tells, b. thinks, c. writes, d. says

68. _______ at the party doesn't concern me.
a. That you saw, b. Which you saw, c. What you saw, d. You saw something

69. Due to lacking _____ , we couldn't open the new store as scheduled.
a. interest rates, b. expenses, c. shares, d. funds

70. I can't decide _____ to move in with my boyfriend.
a. if, b. that, c. about, d. whether

71. I'm anxious _____ to get home in time to meet his granddad.
a. that he, b. for him, c. about him, d. he has

72. The promises you have _____ will have to be kept.
a. been done, b. done, c. making, d. made

73. I think our house _______ by the end of next year.
a. will have sold, b. will have been sold, c. will be sold, d. is going to be sold

74. Charlie doesn't ____ to grasp that next year's budget may have to be cut.
a. like, b. know, c. able, d. seem

75. _______ she meets, they take an instant liking to her.
a. Wherever, b. Whoever, c. Who, d. If

 
******

1 comment:

  1. ______ you're late?
    How is
    How come
    What makes
    Why
    It was important for her _____ seen as a threat.
    she wasn't
    to be not
    not being
    not to be
    I think I'm _______ against.
    plotting
    have plotted
    having plotted
    being plotted
    He's too _____ person to say no.
    so nice
    nice a
    nice
    a nice
    I had to admit _____ completely forgotten our wedding anniversary.
    I have
    to having
    having
    to have
    Miriam left her husband after a ______ row.
    blazing
    crashing
    burning
    heavy
    Your shirt is dirty, I don't think it will _____ for the wedding.
    present
    make
    wear
    do
    Let's sleep on it, _____ we?
    will
    won't we
    shall
    don't we
    She doesn't reveal much about herself, and is _____ fascinating for it.
    the same
    the more
    all the more
    as
    Writing her memoirs, Doreen, _____ lost a daughter to cancer, admitted that she had contemplated suicide on many an occasion.
    would have
    have
    who had herself
    who must

    ReplyDelete